Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Losing yourself in motherhood.

Happy Valentines Day! This day of "love" has gotten me thinking about what most people, especially women (mothers), forget to do; love themselves.

When you become a mother you realize that things are going to change, forever. You realize that you are going to have to give up some things you are used to, to get accustomed to the new ways of raising your child. Unfortunately, along the way most moms completely lose themselves....never thinking to do something for themselves.

After having Trenton I had major PPD, major. I completely lost who I was, and was just lost in general. After going through all of that I can happily say that I am in a better place. One thing that helped me was finding time for myself, and time for my marriage. I began classes because I was so upset that I didn't have a college degree before getting pregnant...it was my goal. So, now here I am getting ready to graduate with my Associate's degree and begin classes toward earning my Bachelor's. As a mother and a woman...I'm feeling pretty strong right now! Rewind to this time 2 years ago and you would have seen a person rolled into a ball, in bed, crying.

Trying to make time for my marriage is also important. It's very easy to lost that connection between one another, and also easy to forget about it. So, every couple weeks Trevor and I take the time to go out on a date, just the two of us. I also give Trenton "room time"so that I can get ready and "primp" for the day.

It may sound silly to some, but remembering who I am and what is important to me (yes, even just putting on a bit of mascara each morning) has helped me out of that rut.

I put Trenton, Trevor, and even our dogs before myself every single day. However, I have come to realize that there needs to be a balance. It's great to always give, but don't forget that you are important too. Don't forget about the goals that you have in life, and don't forget about what you love to do. When your littles one are grown and gone you are going to be left in your home with your husband and your life together. I personally want my marriage to be fun and exciting, and my life to be just the same, even after Trenton leaves the nest. That's not to say I won't be sad, because I will be, but I still have my life with my husband to look forward to.

You can throw yourself heart and soul into being a mother, but do not forget about yourself. Save a little bit of your heart for loving yourself so that when your little ones are gone that heart isn't completely broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment